Infographic: How Social Media is Changing the World
The professionals tell you to use social media in your marketing efforts, and you roll your eyes, thinking, “Yeah, I know. But I just hate Twitter!” You’re reluctant, maybe, but have you thought about exactly why it’s so important? Social media is more than just another way to reach out to your potential customer, it’s a fundamental, permanent shift in the way the world is communicating. Like how people began using computers 20 years ago and it was a drag to have to learn that, too? Yeah, like that.
But now there’s no need to get overwhelmed. This great infographic by MyLife breaks it down in chunks, to give you a reality check. Of particular interest, IMHO*:
- Twitter users reported on the 2012 Aurora CO shooting before news crews could even make it to the scene = real-time communication
- The prevalence of cameras on phones combined with social media is now helping law enforcement catch more criminals faster = global documentation
- 89% of job recruiters have hired employees through LinkedIn = expansive networking
- Social media inspires more people to vote and increases political awareness = citizen engagement
- Justin Bieber was discovered on YouTube at age 12, worth $80 million at 18 = fame, anyone?
- Social media produces almost double the marketing leads of trade shows, telemarketing, direct mail, and PPC, and the conversion rates are 13% higher = more bang for the buck
- People spend on average 2.5-4.5 hours per day on social media, and they are directing their activities = captive, interactive audience
Food for thought. So how can you make the most of it?
*For all you non-texters, it means “in my humble opinion.” 🙂